Parkinson‚Äôs disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system.¬† The symptoms are caused by the death of dopamine generating cells in the brain.¬† Symptoms of the disease are shaking, rigidity, and movement along with mental symptoms such as thinking and dementia.¬† Resent research shows that men are more likely to get the disease than women. ¬†The question is why does this occur?¬† One reason behind this is due to the different life styles between the genders.¬† Men tend to have jobs that expose them to toxic chemicals which have been linked to causing PD.¬† MPTP is a chemical which has been shown to cause Parkinson‚Äôs like symptoms and is now used to cause the disease in rats for testing.¬† Men are also more likely to get a head injury severe enough to cause damage which later on could lead to PD.¬† Another fact could be the types of hormones men and women produce.¬† Research has shown estrogen may have protective effects against the formation of the disease.¬† Men tend to have a higher level of iron in their body than women. ¬†This is a problem because research shows that the accumulation of iron in the brain is another possible factor for PD.¬† However, the research at this time is inconclusive if this maybe another factor to why men are more like to develop PD.
The Cobbers on the Brain blog is a component of the Neurochemistry course at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, and written by students.
Why are students writing this blog?
- Julie Mach (2)
About the author
- Capping off Neurochem
- The Little Element That Could
- Liberal Learning at its Finest
- Iron on the brain
- Adding Injury to Injury: Diabetes can make you more prone to Alzheimer‚Äôs?
- Dopamine: For more than just the good times
- My Capstone Experience.
- My Neurochem Experience
- The Capstone is laid, the mortar has set
- mobile games on Rethinking reasons for weight loss: Alzheimer‚Äôs and type II diabetes
- Deanna on Rethinking reasons for weight loss: Alzheimer‚Äôs and type II diabetes
- childrens place printable coupon on Marijuana as a treatment for eating disorders?
- Anonymous on The Capstone is laid, the mortar has set
- plumbers boca raton on The Basics of Autism
- Dorine on Lithium the Wonder Drug
- fort lauderdale accountant on What is Autism Anyway?
- Carley on Marijuana as a treatment for eating disorders?
- Nathaniel on Obesity: Who’s to Blame? Who’s Responsible?
- chaussures north face on Liberal Learning at its Finest