Obesity is on the rise in the United States and with this comes a number of health issues.¬† One of those issues is Alzheimer‚Äôs disease (AD).¬† Obesity can lead to diabetes which is the body‚Äôs inability to regulate glucose.¬† Insulin plays a vital role in the brain as shown in figure 1. It stops oxidative stress, one of the leading causes of aging, and apoptosis (cell death). In diabetes the insulin no longer bind to insulin receptors correctly.¬† This causes the cell to perform acts otherwise not performed if working properly.¬† In short, insulin isn’t able to bind to receptors causing things called neurofibrillary tangles.¬† These tangles cause neurological death in the brain which causes AD.¬† Because of this, many call AD type III diabetes, because of its link with insulin.¬† This is just another reason why it is important to stay healthy and to fix the obesity problem in the country.
The Cobbers on the Brain blog is a component of the Neurochemistry course at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, and written by students.
Why are students writing this blog?
About the author
- The Capstone Experience
- My Capstone Experience
- ALS – A Sad Disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease: the good, the bad, and The Big Mac
- Fat Chance for Reversal: Is obesity a brain disease?
- Endocannabinoid Signalling and Marijuana
- What’s the connection between Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease?
- Who knew dopamine had so many effects throughout the body?
- Bipolar Disorder – Why is there so much stigma about mental disorders?
- Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome
- Basir Uddin on Type 3 diabetes
- Lane Simonian on Type 2 Diabetes, a Precursor to Alzheimer‚Äôs Disease
- top pc games on Endocannabinoid Manipulation: A New Frontier in Psychotherapy
- LISA HOPE on Homelessness and Mental Illness: A Lethal Combination
- Lisa on Does Sheldon Cooper Have Autism?
- Kandy on The Ups and Downs of Bipolar Disorder Treatments
- http://fetishpornpictures.blogspot.com on Lithium as a Treatment for Bipolar Disorder
- iRgAWO on Pill Nation?!
- anorexia tips on Marijuana as a treatment for eating disorders?
- http://wiki.oszone.net/index.php/:WinfredEn on Head Shot: Football and Concussions